After a fierce battle between 9 teams for more than 2 years, finally the ICC World Test Championship final has arrived.-- Advertisement --
New Zealand and India booked their places in the ICC WTC finals after a terrific all-around performance. Both the teams will face each other on the 18th of June at the Ageas Bowl in Southampton, England.
Earlier, team N.Z overtook India and grabbed the 1st spot in ICC Test team rankings after defeating England 1-0 in a 2 match test series. N.Z occupies the 1st spot with 123 points, followed by team India with 121 points.
ICC World Test Championship final date
The WTC final between India and NZ will kick start on Friday, June 18, 2021.-- Advertisement --
The 1st ball will be bowled at 3:30 pm I.S.T (11 am local time).
It will be a 5-day Test match with the last day of play scheduled for Tuesday, June 22, 2021. However, the ICC has kept a reserve day in place for Wednesday, June 23 in case a full five days of the match cannot be completed.-- Advertisement --
The reserve day is available only to make up the lost time in the previous five days. It will only come into play if the net playing time is lost. The net playing time for a test match is 30 hours (or 6hr/day).
How did India and N.Z qualify for the World Test Championship final?
As per the original system, all the teams were ranked on the basis of points gained during each series played by the teams. Each series consists of 120 points. However, due to the Covid-19 pandemic, several matches had to be called off. Thus, the ICC amended the points system in Nov. 2020. In the new point calculation method, point percentage became the deciding factor.-- Advertisement --
India rose to the 2nd spot because of the change in rules. The 2-1 series win against Australia and 3-1 win over England at home helped India to qualify for the WTC final. India topped the rankings with 520 points and a points percentage of 72.20%.
The rule change helped the Kiwis too. On the other hand, Australia missed out on the chance to finish 2nd on the table after they lost four points due to a slow over-rate during the Boxing Day Test against India last December.
Venue of World Test Championship final?
The World Test Championship final will be played at the Ageas Bowl in Southampton, England.
Previously, the match was scheduled at Lord’s Cricket Ground in London. However, the decision was made to move the match to Southampton to ensure the two traveling teams could remain in a biosecure bubble for the match and minimize the overall risk of COVID-19 spread.
How to watch the World Test Championship final?
|3 pm IST||Star Sports||Hotstar/ Jio TV|
|9.30 pm NZ time||Sky Sport 2||Sky Go App|
|10 am UK time||Sky Sports||–|
The streaming of the World Test Championship final will be available on the International Cricket Council’s (ICC) app as well.
World Test Championship final squads
- Virat Kohli (Captain)
- Ajinkya Rahane (vice-captain)
- Rohit Sharma
- Shubman Gill
- Mayank Agarwal
- Cheteshwar Pujara
- Hanuma Vihari
- Rishabh Pant (wicket-keeper)
- R. Ashwin
- Ravindra Jadeja
- Axar Patel
- Washington Sundar
- Jasprit Bumrah
- Ishant Sharma
- Mohd. Shami
- Md. Siraj
- Shardul Thakur
- Umesh Yadav
- KL Rahul (subject to fitness clearance)
- Wriddhiman Saha (wicket-keeper; subject to fitness clearance)
New Zealand Squad
- Kane Williamson (captain)
- Tom Blundell
- Trent Boult
- Tim Southee
- Doug Bracewell
- Devon Conway
- Colin de Grandhomme
- Jacob Duffy, Matt Henry
- Kyle Jamieson
- Tom Latham
- Daryl Mitchell
- Henry Nicholls
- Ajaz Patel
- Rachin Ravindra
- Mitchell Santne
- Ross Taylor
- Neil Wagner
- BJ Watling
- Will Young
What happens if the World Test Championship final is a draw?
If the World Test Championship final ends in a draw then N.Z and India both the teams will be crowned as the joint champions.
World Test Championship final prize money
The ICC has announced massive prize money for the winner of the WTC final.
The winning team will receive US$1.6 million along with the ICC Test Championship trophy.
The runner-up will get a cheque of US$800,000.
If the final ends in a draw, both teams will share the prize money for 1st and 2nd position (US$1.2 million each).
WTC final weather
The weather forecast for Southampton ahead of the WTC final is not looking very pleasant. As per the current weather forecast, the rain will play a part in each of the 5 days at Southampton.
On the 1st day of the match, ‘heavy rain’ has been forecasted according to the BBC.
Top batsmen in the ICC World Test Championship
- Ajinkya Rahane: Runs: 1,095 runs. Matches: 17. Average: 47.25. Hundreds: 3. Fifties: 6. Highest score: 115
- Rohit Sharma: Runs: 1,030 runs. Matches: 11. Average: 64.49. Hundreds: 4. Fifties: 2. Highest score: 212.
- Virat Kohli: Runs: 877 runs. Matches: 14. Average: 43.85. Hundreds: 2. Fifties: 5. Highest score 254*.
- Kane Williamson: Runs: 817 runs. Matches: 9. Average: 58.35. Hundreds: 3. Fifties: 1. Highest score: 251
- Tom Latham: Runs: 680. Matches: 11. Average: 40. Hundreds: 1. Fifties: 5. Highest score: 154.
Top bowlers in the ICC World Test Championship
- Ravichandran Ashwin: 67 wickets. Matches: 13. Best bowling figures: 7/71. Average: 20.88. Five-wicket hauls: 4
- Ishant Sharma: 36 wickets. Matches: 11. Best bowling figures: 5/22. Average: 17.36. Five-wicket hauls: 3
- Mohammed Shami: 36 wickets. Matches: 10. Best bowling figures: 5/35. Average: 19.77. Five-wicket hauls: 1
- Tim Southee: 51 wickets. Matches: 10. Best bowling figures: 5/32. Average: 20.66. Five-wicket hauls: 3
- Kyle Jamieson: 36 wickets. Matches: 6. Best bowling figures: 6/48. Average: 13.27. Five-wicket hauls: 4. 10-wicket matches: 1
- Trent Boult: 34 wickets matches: 6. Best bowling figures: 4/28. Average: 29.29
India’s journey to the WTC final
- 1st Aug – Sep. 2019: West Indies v India – India won 2-0
- 2nd Oct 2019: India Vs South Africa – India won 3-0
- 3rd Nov 2019: India Vs Bangladesh – India won 2-0
- 4th Feb-Mar 2020: New Zealand Vs India – India lost 0-2
- 5th Dec 2020 – Jan 2021: Australia Vs India – India won 2-1
- 6th Feb, Mar 2021: India Vs England – India won 3-1
New Zealand vs India previous match results
- N.Z has won the last 2 Test matches played between the two teams
- 29th February 2020 – New Zealand won by 7 wickets
- 21st February 2020 – New Zealand won by 10 wickets
- 8th October 2016 – India won by 321 runs
- 30th September 2016 – India won by 178 runs
- 22nd September 2016 – India won by 197 runs
World Test Championship: Points Table
World Test Championship Trophy
World Test Championship: Social Media Trend #WTCFinals
Three sleeps away from the BIG GAME. 👍👍
— BCCI (@BCCI) June 15, 2021
— ICC (@ICC) June 14, 2021
The third day of intra-squad match simulation was about settling down & finding that rhythm. 👍 👍 #TeamIndia
Here's a brief recap 🎥 👇 pic.twitter.com/WByZoIxzT6
— BCCI (@BCCI) June 14, 2021
Overcoming challenges 👏
Bonding like never before 🤜🤛
Reliving last 2 years' performance 👍#TeamIndia's Test vice-captain @ajinkyarahane88 & @cheteshwar1 reflect on the side's march to the ICC #WTC21 Final 👌 👌
— BCCI (@BCCI) June 13, 2021
— BCCI (@BCCI) June 12, 2021
Journey to the #WTC21 Final 👌
Preparations to play in England 💪
Putting the best foot forward 👍
— BCCI (@BCCI) June 11, 2021
— BCCI (@BCCI) June 10, 2021