In this feature, we look at some major sports events of the week and aggregate them in this single article.
2018 YOG: The best one so far!
- India’s success at the Youth Olympic Games was easily the main topic of the week. Indians recorded their best ever YOG performance at Buenos Aires, with the contingent returning with an impressive 13 medals. India won 3 gold, 9 silver, and 1 bronze at the games,
- Tababi Devi Opened India’s account on Day 1, with a silver medal in the 44 kg judo finals. Tushar Mane extended the medal tally by winning another silver in the 10m air rifle shooting.
- Day 2 proved to be a historical day, as Jeremy Lalrinnunga of Mizoram won India’s first gold at the YOG, ever. He achieved the feat in the men’s 62 kg weightlifting event, lifting a combined weight of 274 kg.
- More gold medal followed as, on Day 3, Manu Bhaker finished at the top of the podium in the 10m pistol shooting event.
- Another shooter, Saurabh Chaudhary won gold in the men’s 10m pistol shooting event. He had a total score of 244 points.
- India won eight silver medals towards the end of the games.
- Bhaker won another silver medal and Wrestler Simran won the first silver in wrestling. Then, Indian Men’s and Women’s hockey teams respectively won a silver each. Lakshya Sen lost out to China’s Li Shifeng to settle for silver in the men’s badminton singles.
- Suraj Panwar clinched the silver in 5000m race walking. Lastly, archer Akash Malik won the silver in the men’s recurve event.
- The campaign was ended by Praveen Chitravel who won a bronze in the triple jump event.
Asian Para Games: 72 Medals with one triple medalist
- India also had a fruitful campaign at the Asian Para Games, as they clinched 72 medals in total. It included 15 gold, 24 silver, and 33 bronze medals.
- Among the highlights of the tournament was Suyash Jadhav’s triple medals in swimming. He became the first athlete to win three medals in a single international event.
- In another interesting event, India occupied all the 3 podium places in the high jump event.
Other Ongoing Events
PKL (Season 6)
- Bengal Warriors edged out Telugu Titans, in a close 30-25 contest. Mahinder Singh hogged the limelight in the match, while Rahul Chaudhary had a forgetful evening.
- Elsewhere, U Mumba seems like the real deal, with 3 wins from 4 matches and a league-high 44 PD.
- Puneri Paltan tops the group A though, having played 2 games more than their Maharashtrian counterparts. Paltan lost their 5th match against Gujarat but made a resilient comeback against Pink Panthers.
- Telugu Titans top the group B, with 16 points from 4 matches.
ISL (Season 5)
- ATK opened their account in ISL with a slender win against Delhi Dynamos with Jayesh Rane slotting home the winner.
- In another interesting match, Northeast United emerged as the ultimate winners away against Chennaiyin FC, with an epic 4-3 scoreline. Bartholomew Ogbeche scored a hattrick while Rowlin Borges scored the winner in 54th minute. NEU is at the top of the table, with 2 wins and a draw.
- Chennaiyin, on the other hand, are at the bottom of the list, with not a single point from their first games.