The beginning of Vodafone Premier Badminton League on December 22 will be marked by the clash between the Hyderabad star Sindhu and the ace Spanish shuttler Carolina Marin. The fourth season commences its journey from Mumbai.
Marin, left-hander expertise at the Pune7aces will be initiating the campaign against Hyderabad Hunters who have Sindhu as the most powerful player now and the team very well boosts of her.
Marin had been an exceptional player at the team for Hyderabad Hunters and playing against it would definitely be a game to watch.
The strengths and titles of the two players are as follows
Carolina María Martin
A Spanish professional badminton player is a three-time World Champion, four-time European Champion and a former World’s No. 1 in BWF rankings for the women’s singles.
- World Champion in women’s singles three times winning in 2014, 2015 and 2018.
- Olympics gold medal in women’s singles at the 2016 Rio Olympics.
- The BWF World Championships for the third time.
Pusarla Venkata Sindhu
A podium in all the major tournaments in 2018, and a ? honour in the biggest event of the year!
TAKE A BOW @Pvsindhu1 ??
— PBL India (@PBLIndiaLive) December 16, 2018-- Advertisement --
- Indian professional badminton player who became the first Indian woman to win an Olympic silver medal, and one of the two Indian badminton players to ever win an Olympic medal – other being Saina Nehwal.
- She is among the top five shuttlers in women’s singles category. In 2018, She became the first Indian to have clinched the World Tour title defeating Japan’s Nozomi Okuhara in the 2018 World Tour final.
- Silver in Women’s singles at Commonwealth Games 2018
- A silver medallist at the 2017 BWF World Championships and 2018 BWF World Championships
- A silver medallist in Asian Games 2018 which were held in Indonesia.
- In 2013, she became the first ever Indian women’s singles player to win a medal at the Badminton World Championships.
- In March 2015, she is the recipient of India’s fourth highest civilian honour, the Padma Shri
- Silver medal win in the women’s singles event of the 2016 Summer Olympics
“We have a new team in Pune 7 Aces and this season we will be playing in two new cities — Ahmedabad and Pune — keeping in mind BAI and PBL’s efforts to promote and take the game far and wide,” BAI president Himanta Biswa Sarma said on enquiring about the events.
Sindhu was highly optimistic when she exclaimed, “I will be representing my own city and that makes this opening clash even more special. You can expect full-throated support from the Hunters which will prove to be our strength as we face Pune.”
Three-time World Champion Carolina Marin, former world number one Viktor Axelsen and Son Wan Ho are among the big stars that will go under the hammer in the players’ auction for the fourth edition of the Premier Badminton League (PBL)
— ANI Digital (@ani_digital) October 7, 2018
Marin, the 2016 Olympic champion had helped Hyderabad hunt down the title last year. “I am now part of a new team and yet another Indian city. You can expect me to give my 100% to Pune 7 Aces,” said Marin.
Sameer Verma (Mumbai Rockets), Viktor Axelsen (Ahmedabad Smash Masters), Kidambi Srikanth (Bengaluru Raptors) and H.S. Prannoy (Delhi Dashers) will be amongst the best players to play in this tournament.
Taapsee Pannu, owner of Pune 7 Aces, quoted after the player auctions, “We had a set game-plan and I am really ecstatic to be able to rope in some of the big names in the auction pool today. It has been a perfect implementation of the homework we had done.”
With a champion in Marin, experienced Mathias Boe in the doubles category and young Lakshya Sen, am really optimistic how balanced the team has shaped up. Can’t wait for the season to start”, concluded Taapsee.
Sindhu, who came in as one of the best defending champions was auctioned for a whopping Rs.80 Lakh. Marin fetched almost the same amount for her auction. Sindhu has put up a strong game in the last season by defending the Mumbai Rockets and would certainly replicate the performance.
The badminton extravaganza would witness 30 ties being played including seven doubleheaders this season. Each city will be hosting one doubleheader though Pune and Ahmedabad will see two doubleheaders.
This contest would be as keen for both the top-ranked Indians as well as their followers.
The 23-day event will witness nine teams with Delhi Dashers, Ahmedabad Smash Masters, Awadhe Warriors, Bengaluru Raptors, Mumbai Rockets, Hyderabad Hunters, Chennai Smashes, North Eastern Warriors and Pune 7 Aces slugging it out for a prize purse of Rs 6 crore.
For more updates on Indian Sports, stay tuned with KreedOn.