It was captain Khetik Shabalov who led Delhi Sultans from the front to register a 5-2 win over Mumbai Maharathi in their last round on Sunday, pouring cold water on the latter’s chances of making it to the semifinals of the Pro Wrestling League (PWL) Season 4.
Delhi dominated the proceedings from the start itself, winning four consecutively bouts of the evening, not giving their opponents a speck of a chance. The win raised Sultans hopes of making it to the to the semi-finals. Mumbai, on the other hand, will have to wait for the clash between the Punjab Royals and UP Dangal on Monday to know their fate.
Delhi Sultans’ icon player and Russian champion Khetik Shabalov surpassed early competition from Sachin Rathi of Maharathi to win by a 9-2 margin to give his team an early lead of 1-0.
Delhi Sultans vs Mumbai Maharath: As it happened
In what proved out to be the biggest turn around of the season, Sultan’s European U23 champion Anastasia Shustova from Ukraine made a stunning return from being 0-5 down to upset Mumbai’s Zsanett Nemeth of Hungary by 10-5 in the last 30 seconds of the match. That effort gave Delhi a 2-0 lead.
However, it was not the last upset of the match. In the following bout of the evening, Pankaj Mishra of Delhi Sultans made a comeback as well. The Indian was trailing by 2-5 to defeat Mumbai Maharathi’s European U-23 champion Ibragim Ilyasov 11-8. The thrilling clash handed Delhi a 3-0 lead in three bouts of the evening.
Rio Olympics bronze medallist Sakshi Malik then made it 4-0 for her team after defeating her training-mate Shilpi Yadav of Mumbai Maharathi 16-2 in what proved to be a one-sided contest.
Although Deepak Punia and Vinesh Phogat then won their respective matches by 18-2 and 14-9 for Mumbai, it was not more than a consolation.
The former’s win came in the men’s 86 kg bout against Praveen Rana while the latter had to overcome an early scare from the giant-killer Pinki in the women’s 53kg category before sealing the contest by 14-9.
Ukraine’s Andrey Kviatkoski then put the finishing touches for Delhi Sultans by winning the final bout against Harphool of Mumbai by 4-2.
— SPN_Action (@SPN_Action) January 27, 2019
Final Results :
- 74 kg (M): Khetik Shabalov (Delhi Sultans) 9-2 Sachin Rathi (Mumbai Maharathi)
- 76 kg (F): Anastasia Shustova (Delhi Sultans) 10-5 Zsanett Nemeth (Mumbai Maharathi)
- 57 kg (M): Pankaj Mishra (Delhi Sultans) 11-8 Ibragim Ilyasov (Mumbai Maharathi)
- 62 kg (F): Sakshi Malik (Delhi Sultans) 16-2 Shilpi Yadav (Mumbai Maharathi)
- 86 kg (M): Praveen (Delhi Sultans) 18-2 Deepak Punia (Mumbai Maharathi)
- 53 kg (F): Pinki (Delhi Sultans) 14-9 Vinesh Phogat (Mumbai Maharathi)
- 65 kg (M): Andrey Kviatkovski (Delhi Sultans) 4-2 Harphool (Mumbai Maharathi)