The crowd of Ahmedabad witnessed one of the shortest test match ever played in the history of world cricket. The Pink ball test between India and England was one of the quickest since 1935. The match lasted merely 2 days and 844 balls.
The local boy Axar Patel took 11-wickets at the newly built Narendra Modi Stadium. India overruled England by 10 wickets within 2 days. This loss ended England’s hopes of making it into the final of the inaugural W.T.C in June. It was England’s lowest Test score in India.
Openers Rohit Sharma (25) and Shubman Gill (15) scored the winning runs for India (7.4 overs). India’s 2nd innings lasted just half an hour. It was the 3rd test in a 4 match series. India is now leading by 2-1.
Glimpse of History.
The shortest Test match in the history of cricket occurred in 1931/32. It was between Australia and S.A in Melbourne (656 balls). At Motera it lasted 844 balls.
It was India’s second Test victory within 2 days. The last time India won within 2 days in a Test was in 2018. India beat Afghanistan in Bengaluru. Whereas England’s previous Test loss in 2 days was in 1921 against Australia.
Spinners in Action.
Spinners ruled the game. Turning pitch made life difficult for batsmen. In total 27 wickets were taken by the spinners– highest by spinners in a D/N Test. Team England seemed helpless in front of Axar and Ashwin. The duo limited England to 81(2nd innings). Setting a target of just 49 for India.
Patel took 5 wickets in the 2nd innings. And 6 in the first. Totaling 11 in a match. He now has three 5-wickets hauls in his 1st 4 innings.
10-wicket hauls in D/N Tests:
- 11/70:AXAR PATEL v Eng Ahmedabad 2020/21
- 10/62:Pat Cummins v SL Brisbane 2018/19
- 10/174:Devendra Bishoo v Pak Dubai 2016/17
“Ashwin-The Modern Day Legend”- Virat Kohli
Ashwin crossed the 400-wicket mark in the longest format. He became the 4th Indian to achieve this record. Earlier Anil Kumble (619), Kapil Dev (434) and Harbhajan Singh (417) achieved the feat. Ashwin got his 400 wickets in 77 Tests. The 2nd-fastest ever.
India’s 1st innings ended for 145. Rohit Sharma scored a 66-run knock. England captain Joe Root gained career-best figures of 5/8
- England-112 in 48.4 overs and 81 in 30.4 overs(Ben Stokes 25, Axar Patel 5/32, Ashwin 4/48).
- India-145 all out and 49 for no loss in 7.4 overs (Rohit Sharma 25*, Shubman Gill 15*)
Facts from the match
- Aksar Patel became the 1st bowler to take 11 wickets in a D/N test.
- Virat Kohli (22) overtook former captain MS Dhoni (21). Now, Virat has most Test wins as Indian captain at home.
- It was 16th Pink ball Test in the history of cricket. None of them were drawn.
- Ashwin became the 4th bowler to take 400 wickets. 2nd faster (77 matches).
With this victory, the men in blue is leading the W.T.C’s point table. In 6 series India has registered 11 wins, 4 defeats and 1 drawn.