With there being intense talks about his future, Mahendra Singh Dhoni has always preferred to avoid talks about his retirement. However, on Wednesday, after the launch of a special edition of the luxury watch brand Paneria, he hinted upon a ‘final decision’ over his future by January.
When asked about his absence from action for a long time, Dhoni immediately interrupted and ended the interaction. Upon being prompted further, all he said was: “January tak mat poocho (Don’t ask till January).”
The cricketer also talked about the fondest memories in the India jersey.
“There are two incidents I would like to mention over here. After the 2007 (T20) World Cup, we came back to India and had an open bus trip and we were standing at the Marine Drive (in Mumbai). It was jam-packed all around and people had come out of their cars. So, I felt good after seeing the smile on everyone’s face. Because, there could have been so many people in the crowd, who might have missed their flights, perhaps they were going important work or at some office. The kind of reception we got, the entire Marine Drive was full from one end to the other,” the 38-year-old said.
— The Quint (@TheQuint) November 28, 2019
“And the second instance I would say the 2011 World Cup final, in that match when 15-20 runs were required, the way all the spectators started chanting ‘Vande Mataram’. These two moments…I think it will be difficult to replicate them. Those are the two moments which are close to my heart.”
MS Dhoni last appeared on the field back in July in India’s World Cup semi-final defeat against New Zealand. Having not featured in any game ever since there have been thick speculations over the cricketer’s future in international cricket.
Although he will very much be a part of the Indian Premier League (IPL) next year, not much can be said about his international career.
On one hand, chief selector MSK. Prasad said earlier last month that the selection panel has apparently “moved on” from Dhoni. Contrastingly, head coach Ravi Shastri on Monday hinted that the cricketer could still come on board in the next year’s T20 World Cup.