HomeISL – Indian Super League 2019ISL 2019-20 Match 18 update: Kerala and Odisha playout a stalemate

ISL 2019-20 Match 18 update: Kerala and Odisha playout a stalemate

-- Advertisement --
- Advertisement -

  • Match 18 of the ISL featured Kerala Blasters who were held by Odisha FC in a goal-less draw.
  • Both the sides played an even game, registering 6 shots with 1 being on goal each.
  • Odisha FC and Kerala Blasters sit 5th and 6th in the league with 4 points each.

The 18th match of the Indian Super League saw Kerala Blasters FC play out a goalless draw against Odisha FC at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in Kochi. Both sides now share the same record with Mumbai City FC, as the trio has won one, drawn one and lost two games each.

Sergio Cidoncha was awarded the Hero of the match for his impressive performance in a game that had no winners. Odisha sits in the 5th place while Kerala sits in the 6th place having gathered 4 points each.

Even-Stevens at Kochi

Hosts of the night, Kerala Blasters and their visitors Odisha FC, both started the game with a 4-2-3-1 formation. Predicted to be a cracking game, it turned out to be very evenly poised throughout the evening.

-- Advertisement --

Odisha kicked off the game in the first half. Kerala Blasters claimed for a penalty in the 15th a minute an attempt to head the ball goal-wards hit the chest of Odisha player. The referee however ignored it and let the game progress. A few minutes later, in an attempt to head the ball, Messi Bouli and Aridane Santana had a nasty head collision which resulted in the duo being substituted.

-- Advertisement --

In the 34th minute, Sahal Abdul Samad showed why he is considered as one of the best rising talents in India. He pranced through the Odisha midfield, skillfully dribbling past the defenders only to be fouled in the box. The decision should have gone Kerala’s way and they should have been awarded a penalty, however, the referee turned a blind eye to the incident and let the game progress.

-- Advertisement --

An attempt by Rahul KP to hit the ball goal-wards was wasted as he rocketed the effort high up into Kerala stands. The first half concluded after 5 extra minutes were added on and both the teams failed to create any real chances to go ahead.

12 minutes into the 2nd half, a wonderful long ball into the box found Nandhakumar Sekar who could only hit it first time on the side netting. Minutes later Prasanth Karuthadathkuni attempted to shoot the ball on goal however he missed it by miles denying Kerala a shot on target.

With only 15 minutes to go, Narayan Das attempted an audacious long-range shot to catch the goalkeeper off guard, however, it only just missed the goal. In the 84th minute, Kerala Blaster’s only shot on target for the night was wonderfully denied by Dorronsoro.

The match came to an end after both sides registering 6 shots, with 1 being on goal each. The home side kept 52% of the possession while Odisha had the remaining 48%.

-- Advertisement --
Subscribe Now Receive exciting Indian sports stories on your WhatsApp now. Click the link above
Warad Bhat
Warad is passionate about brands, football, films and food. He enjoys reading about latest gadgets and technologies and spends his time either watching movies or cooking something new. Warad is a spiritual person who believes that to change the world you must change yourself from within.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

-- Advertisement --