The two day IPL 2018 Auction held at the ITC Gardenia in Bengaluru was full of surprises. A total of 578 players, out of the 1,122 players registered, had been kept for the final two-day auction. This included 244 capped players (62 from India), 332 uncapped players (34 from overseas), and two players from Associate countries.
Here are the top 10 moments of IPL 2018 Auction:
- Ben Stokes was the biggest purchase for the 11th edition of the tournament, having been sold to Rajasthan Royals (RR) for Rs 12.5 crore. Stokes, who was charged for a brawl outside a Bristol nightclub, earlier in January, was on the marquee list with a base price of Rs 2 crore. RR is back in the IPL 2018 after it was banned for two years.
- Indian left-arm pacer Jaydev Unadkat became the costliest Indian player in 2018 after RR broke the bank for Rs 11.50 crore to claim his services. In the 2017 IPL edition, Unadkat played for Rising Pune Supergiant. He grabbed attention after claiming a hat-trick.
- India opener K L Rahul and middle-order batsman Manish Pandey became millionaires at IPL 2018 auction. Both bagged bumper deals of Rs 11 crore each. Pandey, who played for Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) last season, was bought by Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH) while Rahul was snapped up by Kings XI Punjab (KXIP).
- Afghans shine at the IPL 2018 auction. But will they prove to be the Best buys? Four Afghan cricketers created history and made huge strides, this year. Leg spinner Rashid Khan was bought by the SRH for Rs 9 crore via the right to match card. Meanwhile, Mohammad Nabi was grabbed up by SRH for Rs 1 crore. Zahir Khan and Mujeeb Zadran, who are currently playing in the U-19 Cricket World Cup, were picked up by RR and KXIP, respectively. Zadran bagged a deal of Rs 4 crore and Khan fetched Rs 60 lakh.
- It was moment of embarrassment for one of the legends of IPL. West Indian big hitter Chris Gayle got third-time lucky and was sold to KXIP for his base price of Rs 2 crore. Gayle, who played for Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) from 2011-2017, did not attract any bids. The batsman who has five IPL hundreds was picked up by KXIP, after his name was announced for the third time.
- Other high-profile players who got another chance included Indian opener M Vijay, wicket-keeper Parthiv Patel, and Australian pacer Mitchell Johnson. Vijay was sold to Chennai Super Kings (CSK) for Rs 2 crore. Parthiv Patel was sold to RCB for Rs 1.7 crore. Johnson grabbed Rs 2 crore and was sold to KKR.
- A moment of pride for the cricketing world happened at the IPL 2018 auction. Sandeep Lamichhane became the first cricketer from Nepal to get an IPL contract. He was bought for his base price of Rs 20 lakh by Delhi Daredevils (DD). Lamichhane, 17, took a hat-trick against Ireland at the 2016 ICC Under-19 World Cup when Nepal made history after entering the quarterfinals of the World Cup for the first time.
- Pandya brothers reunite for Mumbai Indians at the IPL 2018 auction. Uncapped all-rounder Krunal Pandya was retained by Mumbai Indians (MI) for whopping Rs 8.8 crore. MI exercised the Right to Match card for Krunal after a bidding war broke out between RR, RCB and SRH.
- Australian batsman Chris Lynn, pacer Mitchell Starc, and all-rounder Glenn Maxwell will have a tough task to spend their millions. Lynn was bought by KKR for Rs 9.6 crore. Starc fetched Rs 9.4 crore from KKR. Maxwell, on the other hand, went to DD for Rs. 9 crore.
- While some unknown entrants fetched millions at the IPL 2018 auction, many world renowned players had no takers. Morne Morkel, Unmukt Chand, Ishant Sharma, Ashton Agar, Aiden Markram, Dale Steyn, Nathan Lyon, Lasith Malinga, Shaun Marsh, Eoin Morgan, Joe Root, Martin Guptill, were among the players who went unsold.
IPL 2018 Auction – This is how the squads for each franchise have shaped up:
IPL 2018 Auction – Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB):
Virat Kohli, AB de Villiers, Brendon McCullum, Tim Southee, Chris Woakes, Parthiv Patel, Umesh Yadav, Quinton de Kock, Manan Vohra, Nathan Coulter-Nile, Moeen Ali, Sarfaraz Khan, Kulwant Khejroliya, Mandeep Singh, Aniruddha Joshi, Pavan Deshpande, Yuzvendra Chahal, Aniket Choudhary, Murugan Ashwin, Pawan Negi, Colin de Grandhomme, Navdeep Saini, Washington Sundar, Mohammed Siraj
IPL 2018 Auction – Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR):
Piyush Chawla, Robin Uthappa, Shubman Gill, Mitchell Johnson, Sunil Narine, Andre Russell, Dinesh Karthik, Mitchell Starc, Kamlesh Nagarkoti, Shivam Mavi, Javon Searles, Ishank Jaggi, Cameron Delport, Chris Lynn, Vinay Kumar, Apoorv Wankhade, Kuldeep Yadav, Nitish Rana, Rinku Singh
IPL 2018 Auction – Chennai Super Kings (CSK):
MS Dhoni, Suresh Raina, Ravindra Jadeja, Shane Watson, M Vijay, Kedar Jadhav, Harbhajan Singh, Faf du Plessis, Dwayne Bravo, Lungi Ngidi, Sam Billings, Karn Sharma, Ambati Rayudu, Mark Wood, Jagadeesan Narayan, Imran Tahir, Deepak Chahar, Shardul Thakur, Mitchell Santner, Dhruv Shorey, Kshitiz Sharma, Chaitanya Bishnoi, Monu Kumar, Kanishk Seth, Asif KM
IPL 2018 Auction – Delhi Daredevils (DD):
Gautam Gambhir, Jason Roy, Glenn Maxwell, Mohammed Shami, Prithvi Shaw, Trent Boult, Amit Mishra, Shahbaz Nadeem, Naman Ojha, Abhishek Sharma, Manjot Kalra, Colin Munro, Harshal Patel, Rahul Tewatia, Jayant Yadav, Vijay Shankar, Daniel Christian, Gurkeerat Singh, Kagiso Rabada, Avesh Khan, Sayan Ghosh, Sandeep Lamichhane, Chris Morris, Shreyas Iyer, Rishabh Pant
IPL 2018 Auction – Mumbai Indians (MI):
Rohit Sharma, Hardik Pandya, Jasprit Bumrah, Kieron Pollard, JP Duminy, Krunal Pandya, Pat Cummins, Rahul Chahar, Anukul Roy, Tajinder Singh, Mayank Markande, Mohsin Khan, Ben Cutting, Jason Behrendorff, Pradeep Sangwan, Mustafizur Rahman, Aditya Tare, Saurabh Tiwary, Siddhesh Lad, Evin Lewis, Suryakumar Yadav, Akila Dananjaya, Ishan Kishan, Sharad Lumba, MD Nidheesh
IPL 2018 Auction – Rajasthan Royals (RR):
Ajinkya Rahane, Steven Smith, Jos Buttler, Ben Stokes, Sanju Samson, Aryaman Birla, Midhun S, Stuart Binny, Dhawal Kulkarni, Darcy Short, Ben Laughlin, Jatin Saxena, Shreyas Gopal, Anureet Singh, Jaydev Unadkat, Ankit Sharma, Gowtham Krishnappa, Rahul Tripathi, Prashant Chopra, Dushmantha Chameera, Jofra Archer, Zahir Khan, Mahipal Lomror
IPL 2018 Auction – Kings XI Punjab (KXIP):
Yuvraj Singh, R Ashwin, Karun Nair, KL Rahul, Chris Gayle, Aaron Finch, David Miller, Mayank Agarwal, Mujeeb Zadran, Manzoor Dar, Marcus Stoinis, Pardeep Sahu, Manoj Tiwary, Andrew Tye, Akshdeep Nath, Mohit Sharma, Barinder Sran, Ankit Rajpoot, Ben Dwarshuis, Mayank Dagar, Axar Patel
IPL 2018 Auction – Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH):
Bhuvneshwar Kumar, David Warner, Kane Williamson, Wriddhiman Saha, Shikhar Dhawan, Yusuf Pathan, Shakib Al Hasan, Chris Jordan, Manish Pandey, Shreevats Goswami, Siddarth Kaul, Bipul Sharma, Sachin Baby, Sandeep Sharma, Carlos Brathwaite, Mehdi Hasan, Deepak Hooda, Billy Stanlake, Ricky Bhui, Basil Thampi, Tanmay Agarwal, Rashid Khan, Natarajan, Syed Khaleel Ahmed, Mohammad Nabi
Vital stats from IPL 2018 Auctions
- Total players sold – 169
- Total Indian players – 113
- Total overseas players 56
- Top overseas buy – Benjamin Stokes (RR) – Rs. 12.5 cr
- Top Indian buy – Jaydev Unadkat (RR) – Rs. 11.5 cr
- Top uncapped Indian buy – Krunal Pandya – Rs. 8.80 cr
- RTM cards used – 19
The country-wise breakup of players to take part in the upcoming season after IPL 2018 auction:
The team-wise breakup of players picked, and purse spent at IPL 2018 Auction:
Chennai Super Kings (25) Rs. 73.5 cr
Delhi Daredevils (25) Rs. 78.4 cr
Kings XI Punjab (21) Rs. 79.90 cr
Kolkata Knight Riders (19) Rs. 80 cr
Mumbai Indians (25) Rs. 79.35 cr
Rajasthan Royals (23) Rs. 78.35 cr
Royal Challengers Bangalore (24) Rs. 79.85 cr
Sunrisers Hyderabad (25) Rs. 79.35
The IPL 2018 schedule of matches is yet to be announced, but the Governing body has confirmed the dates. IPL 2018 will be held between April 7 and May 27.For live streaming of IPL 2018, you can watch it on Hotstar and Star Sports.