It is that time of year again when Indians need to bleed blue. No not for our cricket team. The Indian Olympic Association (IOA) published the list containing the Indian teams for the grand sporting event, 2018 Asian Games to be held from 18th August in Jakarta and Palembang, Indonesia. The 524-member group of athletes features 277 men and 247 women over a total of 36 sports disciplines from all over the country.-- Advertisement --
Indian teams -Participation overview in different sports
Indian will be participating in 36 sporting events as follows. The number in the bracket signifies the number fo athletes going for that sport:
Archery (16), Athletics (51), Badminton (20), Basketball (12), Boxing (10), Bowling (6), Canoe-Kayak–sprint/slalom (19), Cycling (15), Equestrian (4), Fencing (4), Gymnastics (10), Golf (7), Handball (16), Hockey (36), Judo (6), Kabaddi (24), Karate (2), Kurash (14), Pencak Silat (22), Roller Skating (4), Rowing (34), Sailing (9), Sambo (6), Sepak Takraw (24), Shooting (28), Squash (8), Swimming/Diving (11), Soft Tennis (10), Tennis (12), Taekwondo (5), Triathlon (4), Table Tennis (10), Volleyball (28), Weightlifting (5), Wrestling (18) and Wushu (13)-- Advertisement --
Here is a break up of athletes that will represent India at the Asiad
Indian teams – Athletics Squad (51 members)
- 100m – Dutee Chand
- 200m – Hima Das, Dutee Chand
- 400m– Hima Das, Nirmala
- 800m – Tintu Luka
- 1500m – PU Chitra, Monika Chaudhary
- 5000m – Sanjivani Jadhav, L Surya
- 10000m – Sanjivani Jadhav, L Surya
- 400m – Jauna Murmu, Anu Raghavan (Subject to confirmatory trials)
- 3000m – SC Sudha Singh, Chinta Yadav
- Long Jump – Nayana James, Neena Varakil Pinto (Subject to confirmatory trials)
- 20km Race Walk – Sowmya B, Khushbir Kaur
- Heptathlon – Swapna Barman, Purnima Hembram
- Discus Throw – Seema Poonia, Sandeep Kumari (Subject to confirmatory trials)
- Hammer Throw – Sarita Singh
- Javelin Throw – Annu Rani (Subject to confirmatory trials)
- 4x400m Relay – MR Poovamma, Saritaben Gaikwad, Sonia Vaishya, Vijayakumari, VK Vismaya, Jisna Matthew
- 200m – Mohammed Anas
- 400m – Mohammed Anas, Rajiv Arokia
- 800m – Jinson Johnson, Manjit Singh
- 1500m – Jinson Johnson, Manjit Singh
- 5000m – G Lakshmanan
- 10000m – G Lakshmanan
- 400m – H Dharun Ayyasamy, Santosh Kumar
- 3000m – SC Naveen Kumar Dagar, Shankarlal Swami
- High Jump – Chetan B (Subject to confirmatory trials)
- Long Jump – Sree Shankar
- Triple Jump – Arpinder Singh, Rakesh Babu
- Shot put – Tajinder Toor, Naveen Chikara (Subject to confirmatory trials)
- Javelin Throw – Neeraj Chopra, Shivpal Singh
- 20km Race Walk – Manish Singh Rawat, Irfan KT
- 50km Race Walk – Sandeep Kumar
- 4x400m Relay – Mohammed Anas, Jeevan KS, Jithu Baby, Kunhu Mohammed, Rajiv Arokia, Santosh Kumar
- Mix Relay – Mohammed Anas, Rajiv Arokia, Hima Das, Poovamma.
Indian teams – Gymnastics Squad
Indian will be sending a 10 member squad to participate in the artistic gymnastics events. The team consisting of 5 men and 5 women was chosen after a 2-day trial held at the Indira Gandhi Stadium, New Delhi. The names are as follows:
Women’s Gymnastic Team
Dipa Karmakar, Pranati Das, Aruna Reddy, Mandira Chowdhury and Pranati Nayak.
Men’s Gymnastic Squad
Rakesh Patra, Yogeshwar Singh, Gaurav Kumar, Ashish Kumar and Siddharth Verma.
Indian teams- Boxing Squad
The (BFI) Boxing Federation of India will be sending a 10 member team having both men and women, to Jakarta. India has high hopes in its boxer for bringing medals from Asian Games 2018.
Men’s Boxing Team
- Vikas Krishan (75 kg)
- Gaurav Solanki (52 Kg),
- Mohammad Hussamuddin (56 kg)
- Amit (49 kg)
- Shiva Thapa (60 kg)
- Dheeraj (64 kg)
- Manoj Kumar (69 kg)
Women’s Boxing Team
- Sarjubala Devi (51kg)
- Sonia Lather (57 kg)
- Pavitra (60kg)
Indian teams – Wrestling Squad
- Sandeep Tomar – 57 kg
- Bajrang Punia – 65 kg
- Sushil Kumar – 74 kg
- Pawan Kumar – 86 kg
- Mausam Khatri – 97 kg
- Sumit Malik – 125 kg
Greco Roman Category:
- Gyanender – 59 kg
- Manish – 67 kg
- Gurpreet Singh – 77 kg
- Harpreet Singh – 87 kg
- Hardeep Singh – 97 kg
- Naveen – 130 kg
- Vinesh Phogat – 50 kg
- Pinki – 53 kg
- Pooja Dhanda – 57 kg
- Sakshi Malik – 62 kg
- Divya Kakran – 68 kg
- Kiran – 72 kg
Indian teams – Archery Squad
The four member men’s team is as Atanu Das, Sukhchain Singh, Vishwas, Jagdish Choudhary.
Our star archer Deepika Kumari will be participating along with Promila Daimary, Ankita Bhakat and Laxmirani Majhi.
Abhishek Verma, Aman Saini, Rajat Chauhan and Sangam Preet Bisla will be trying to get a medal in compound archery.
Muskan Kiran, Jyothi Surekha Vennam, Trisha Deb and Madhumita Kumari.
Indian teams – Badminton Squad
- Kidambi Srikanth – Singles
- H.S. Prannoy – Singles
- Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty – Doubles
- Manu Attri and B. Sumeeth Reddy – Doubles
Men’s Team Event Participants:
Kidambi Srikanth, H.S. Prannoy, B. Sai Praneeth, Chirag Shetty, Satwiksairaj Rankireddy, Pranaav Jerry Chopra, B. Sumeeth Reddy, Manu Attri, Sourabh Verma and Sameer Verma.
- P. V. Sindhu – Singles
- Saina Nehwal – Singles
- Ashwini Ponnappa and N. Sikki Reddy – Doubles
- Rutuparna Panda and Arathi Sara Sunil – Doubles
Women’s Team Event Participants:
P.V. Sindhu, Arathi Sara Sunil, Saina Nehwal, Ashmita Chaliha, Ashwini Ponnappa , Aakarshi Kashyap, Rutuparna Panda ,Gayathri Gopichand, , N. Sikki Reddy and Sai Uttejitha Rao.
Indian teams – Table Tennis Squad
The Table Tennis Federation of India (TTFI) came out with the list of athletes who will be representing India at the 2018 Asian Games to be held in Jakarta, Indonesia:
Achanta Sharath Kamal, Harmeet Desai, Sathiyan Gnanasekaran, Manav Thakkar and Anthony Amalraj Harmeet Desai.
Manika Batra, Mouma Das, Madhurika Patkar, Sutirtha Mukherjee and Ayhika Mukherjee.
Indian teams – Tennis Squad
The All India Tennis Federation announced a strong 12 member team as follows:
Leander Paes, Rohan Bopanna, Ramkumar Ramanathan, Prajnesh Gunneswaran, Sumit Nagal and Divij Sharan.
Ankita Raina, Rutuja Bhosale, Karman Kaur Thandi, Riya Bhatia, Pranjala Yadlapalli and Prarthana Thombare.
Indian teams – Shooting Squad
The Indian shooting has been on fire recently. With rains of medals in various international events, the National Rifle Association of India is ready for the Asian Games with the below squad :
Men – Senior Rifle Event
- Sanjeev Rajput and Akhil Sheoran : 3 Positions
- Ravi Kumar and Deepak Kumar: Air Rifle
- Amit Kumar and Harjinder Singh: 300m Standard Rifle
Senior Pistol Event
- Saurabh Chaudhary and Abhishek Verma : Air Pistol
- Shivam Shukla and Anish Bhanwala – Rapid Fire Pistol
Senior Shotgun Event
- Lakshay and Manavjit Singh Sandhu – Trap
- Sheeraz Sheikh and Angadwir Bajwa – Skeet
- Ankur Mittal – Shardul Vihaan – Double Trap
Women – Senior Rifle
- Gaayathri N and Anjum Moudgil : 3 Positions
- Apurvi Chandela and Elavenil Valarivan – Air Rifle
Senior Pistol Event
- Manu Bhaker and Heena Sidhu – Air Pistol
- Rahi Sarnobat and Manu Bhaker – Sports Pistol
Senior Shotgun Event
- Shreyasi Singh and Seema Tomar – Trap
- Ganemat Sekhon and Rashmi Rathore – Skeet
- Shreyasi Singh and Varsha Varman – Double Trap
Mixed Senior Rifle Event
- Ravi Kumar and Apurvi Chandela – Air Rifle Mixed
Senior Pistol Event
- Abhishek Verma and Manu Bhaker – Air Pistol Mixed
Senior Shotgun Event
- Lakshay and Shreyasi Singh – Trap Mixed
Indian teams – Bridge Squad
The Bridge Federation of India picked up a squad of 24-members along with six reserve athletes for these Asian Games.
Subhash Gupta, Pranab Bardhan, Sapan Desai , Finton Lewis, Rajeev Khandelwal, Ajay Khare, Gopinath Manna, Debabrata Majumder, Sumit Mukherjee, Bachiraju Satyanarayana, Shibhnath Dey Sarkar, Rajeshwar Tewari, Jaggy Shivdasani, Raju Tolani and Arun Kumar Sinha.
Rita Choksi, Feroza Chothia, Hema Deora, Bharati Dey, Marianne Karmarkar, Himani Khandelwal, Kiran Nadar, Aparna Sain and Vasanti Shah.
Sunit Chokshi, Alka Kshrisagar, Abhijit Chakraborty, Keyzad Anklesaria, Sridhar Padmanabhan and Sunderram S.
Indian teams – Weightlifting Squad
- Saikhom Mirabai Chanu – 48 Kg (Pulled out due to injury)
- Rakhi Halder – 63 kg
- Sathish Kumar Sivalingam – 77 kg
- Ajay Singh – 77 kg
- Vikas Thakur – 94 kg
Indian teams – Watersport Squad
Sajan Prakash, Virdhawal Khade, Sandeep Sejwal, Aaron Agnel D’Souza, Srihari Nataraj, Saurabh Sangvekar, Advait Page, Anshul Kothari, Arvind Mani, Neel Roy and Avinash Mani.
K Ramanand Sharma, Siddharth Pardeshi, H London Singh
Ashwini Kumar Kunde, Aneesh Babu (GK), Akshay Kumar Kunde, Adarsh VS, Prithish Das, Uday Utekar, Sarang Vaidya, Karthik Ch Das, Aneesh Kumar, Shibin Lal, Manimaran D, Kumar, Monjith Hasan, S Ratheesh Lal Krishna and J Sreejith.
Indian teams – Karate squad
The Karate team going to Jakarta from India is as follows:
- Pranay Sharma – Kumite 60 kg
- Anmol Singh – Kumite- 67 kg
- Sharath J. – Kumite 75 kg
- Vishal – Kumite 84 kg
- Nidhi Nanhet – Kumite- 50kg
- Supriya Jatav – Kumite- 55 kg
- N. Harsha – Kumite – 61 kg
- Johny Mangkhaiya – Kumite- 68 kg
Indian teams – Hockey Squad
Goalkeepers: PR Sreejesh (Captain), Krishan B Pathak
Defenders: Birendra Lakra, Varun Kumar, Harmanpreet Singh, Rupinder Pal Singh, Surender Kumar, Amit Rohidas
Midfielders: Chinglensana Singh Kangujam (Vice-Captain), Manpreet Singh, Simranjeet Singh, Vivek Sagar Prasad, Sardar Singh
Forwards: Lalit Kumar Upadhyay, Mandeep Singh, SV Sunil, Dilpreet Singh, Akashdeep Singh
Rani(captain ), Savita(v-c), Deep Grace Ekka, Rajani Etimarpu, Gurjit Kaur, Sunita Lakra, Deepika, Namita Toppo, Reena Khokhar, Monika, Udita, Lilima Minz, Lalremsiami, Navneet Kaur, Nikki Pradhan, Neha Goyal, Vandana Katariya, Navjot Kaur.
Indian teams – Kabaddi Squad
- Girish Maruti Ernak,
- Deepak Niwas Hooda,
- Mohit Chhillar,
- Sandeep Narwal,
- Pardeep Narwal,
- Rishank Devadiga,
- Monu Goyat,
- Ajay Thakur,
- Rohit Kumar,
- Raju Lal Choudhary,
- Mallesh Gangadhari,
- Rahul Chaudhari
- Standby: Amit Nagar, Maninder Singh
- Sakshi Kumari,
- Kavita Devi,
- Manpreet Kaur,
- Payel Chowdhury,
- Ritu Negi,
- Sonali Vishnu Shingate,
- Sayali Sanjay Keripale,
- Randeep Kaur Khehra,
- Shalini Pathak,
- Usha Rani
- Narasimhaiah, Madhu
- Standby: Priyanka, Shama Parveen
Indian teams – Rowing Squad
The Rowing Federation of India have selected the following different teams for the 2018 Asian Games in:
Dattu Baban Bhokanal, Sawarn Singh, Sukhmeet Singh, Om Prakash, Monu, Malkeet Singh, Arjun Lal, Gurinder singh, Bhagwan Singh, Dushyant, Rohit Kumar, Jagvir Singh, Bhopal Singh, Tejash Shinde Hanamant, Sumith, Sono Laxmi Narayan, Hardeep Singh, Jegan Sekhar, Manish Yadav, N. Pranay Ganesh, Akshat, M. Lakshman Rohith, Rahul Giri, Pandu Rang, Lucky, Arvind Singh and Manpreet Singh.
Navneet Kaur, Harpreet Kaur, Yamini Singh, Sayali Shelke, Annu, Sanjukta Dung Dung, and Pooja Sangwan
Please Note: The Indian Football team (Men and Women) is not going for the games. Also, the Martial team, Basketball, Canoeing, Cycling, Handball, Golf, Judo, Sepak Takraw and Volleyball teams are yet to be announced by their respective federation.
For more updates do subscribe to our newsletter and follow our social media channels.