Team India is all set to kick off their campaign in the prestigious FIH men’s hockey world cup 2023 on January 13. Way back in 1975, India had clinched their solitary World Cup title in the third edition of the event. Since then, the Indian men’s hockey team could not reach the finals of the World Cup. Here we will look at previous winners of the Men’s hockey World Cup.
At the 1994 edition of the World Cup, India finished in the fifth spot. In the last edition of the Men’s Hockey World Cup, India crashed out of the tournament after suffering a 2-1 defeat against the Netherlands in the quarterfinals.
Men’s Hockey World Cup Previous Winners
The Men’s Hockey World Cup 2023 is all set with their opening match today, so let’s take a look at the previous winners of this tournament.
- In the inaugural edition of the World Cup in 1971, Pakistan got the better of Spain to lift the WC trophy.
- In the next edition of the World Cup in 1973, India managed to reach the summit clash. But Team India was beaten in the finals by the Netherlands on penalties.
- India’s long wait for the WC title came to an end in 1975 after they defeated arch-rivals Pakistan to win the maiden World Cup title.
- In 1978 and 1982, Pakistan won the title and became the first side in the history of the tournament to successfully defend the World Cup title. They claimed silverware twice on the trot.
- In 1986, Australia outsmarted England in the final and won their maiden World Cup title.
- In 1990, the Netherlands claimed the World Cup title for the second time.
- In 1994, Sydney, Pakistan defeated the Netherlands in the final and clinched their fourth World Cup title.
- In 1998, The Netherlands became world champions for the third time after they defeated Spain in a thrilling final encounter.
- In 2002 and 2006, Germany defeated Australia in the finals to emerge as world champions.
- Again in 2010, Germany had managed to reach the finals but this time they got defeated by Australia by 2-1.
- In the 2014 WC, Australia retained the title after defeating the Netherlands by 6-1 in the finals.
- In the last edition of the Men’s Hockey World Cup, Odisha, Belgium defeated the Netherlands to clinch their maiden title.