Justifying the famous hindi film dialogue, “hum kisise kum nahin”, young Arunachali cyclist Rubi Lombo once again won laurels for her state by finishing second in coveted two-day MTB Nainital Challenge-2018 and won Rs 7,000 in cash award.
Rubi Lombo overcomes a tough terrain!!
Uttarakhand’s landmark 106-km cross country race covering off-road, broken tarmac, rocks, sands, mud, tarmac, single-track touching 8242 feet at the highest and 1500 feet at the lowest point above sea level, saw cyclists of all ages, abilities and backgrounds, riding on bikes of all shapes and sizes, in celebration of cycling.
“Representing India in a cycling race is my ultimate goal,” Rubi Lombo told ANI over telephone after arriving at her native Echali village, near the Lower Dibang Valley district headquarters Roing.
Rubi Lombo also secured fourth position in the women’s category of 7th edition Hero Cycles MTB Himalaya Shimla for which the organisers gave her certificate of merit for the annual event conducted during April 13-15 last.
“The two-day Shimla race trail passing through dense forests and tricky single track sections enabled cyclists to experience real mountain biking experience. It was challenging as the trail passed through some of the most pristine sections of the Shivalik Mountains, also known as the lesser Himalayas or the foothills of the Himalayas.
“The riders pedaled their way through uphill tracks, speedy downhill tracks, village back roads, beautiful meadows, thick vegetation and jeep tracks covering around 120-km within two days. Though I underwent cycling training in Nainital as part of my preparation but I am in an advantageous position as I grew up in my hilly state,” Rubi Lombo said.
Her certificate of achievement, reads: “Your fortitude and resolve are now a matter of proud record. This Certificate of Honour for this meritorious feat officially entitles you to ask the world – Do you have what it takes?
Lombo, the younger sister of Everest conqueror Tine Mena, has already carved a niche for herself in cycling.
Achievements of Rubi Lombo
- Rubi Lombo has created many a records, which includes participating in 110-km MTB National Challenge touching 7300-feet above sea level beginning inside the dense forest of Jim Corbett, the trail passing through sweeping bends to travel through breathtaking view, dirt roads, wilderness and some steep climb to conclude at Vinayak, Nainital during April 20-23, 2017 in which she got third position in woman category.
- Her other achievements included participation in 85-km 1st Tawang MTB Challenge (Edition IV) routed through 6,500 to 8,000-feet above sea level certified by state’s sport and youth affairs.
- Rubi Lombo secured 1st position in Adventure Awareness training camp conducted at Roing by Etalin-based Popu Heritage Foundation during Dec 1-7, 2017 as certified by state’s directorate of sport & youth affairs.
- 40-km DN-X MTB Championship 2017 (Edition-I) in solo woman category;
- Felicitated by Idu Mishmi Cultural & Literary Society during Golden Jubilee Reh celebration-2018; state’s tourism department certified as tourism service provider for capacity building for imparting training in February 2010.
Praises were showered on Rubi by well wishers led by Home Minister Kumar Waii, who said “her participation and victory in global cycling competition is a matter of great pride for the state. She has turned a role model to inspire youth of her age to win more laurels for the state. I wish her many more success in all her future endeavours”.