The protesting wrestlers, on Thursday, said that they would participate in the 2023 Asian Games trials after they had paused their protest against outgoing WFI president Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh following assurances from the government.
All national federations intend to finish the Asian Games rosters well before the July 15 deadline, according to India’s sports minister Anurag Thakur, who made this statement on Thursday. The Games will take place in Hangzhou, China, starting from Sept 28 to Oct 8.
The two-person ad hoc committee, composed of Bhupender Singh Bajwa and Suma Shirur, will preside over the selection trials, which are most likely to happen in the final week of June. However, the wrestlers want additional time to get ready for the trials.
Satyawart Kadian said,
“We want to take part in the selection trial, but to prepare for it, we need at least a month and a half of training.”
Since they haven’t competed since the World Championships in September last year, for some wrestlers it will be challenging to regain their competitive edge.
Vinesh Phogat and Bajrang Punia decided not to go to their overseas training camps in April as a result of the protest. While the two protest leaders— Punia and Phogat—appear on the long list, the same can not be true about Malik.
However, following a lengthy discussion with Thakur on Wednesday, on receiving assurance, the wrestlers decided to put their protest on hold until June 15. It is reaffirmed that the demands of the wrestlers would be met. Thakur said,
“I said yesterday as well, we had a very positive meeting with the protesting wrestlers”